Pet and Bird Safety in the Kitchen

Cookware Manufacturers Association

Americans love their pets. In fact, consumers spend far more on pets than on baby products. It’s no wonder many pet lovers say their pet is like “one of the family.”

And while some pets occupy their owner’s backyards, many more also have found a home inside the house. But one place pets shouldn’t be allowed is the kitchen.

 

Birds in the Kitchen

pets2Birds have very sensitive respiratory systems. In fact, coal miners used to carry canaries with them into their underground work places before modern science came to the miners aid, If the bird quit chirping, miners knew there was dangerous gases present, even through they couldn’t smell them themselves.

There are instances of bird succumbing even to the sorts of normal cooking smells that are harmless to humans. Hot oil, sautéed butter and even normal pan fried foods can produce fumes that are toxic to a bird. Even worse is accidental overheating a dry pan, particularly if that pan has a nonstick coating. The bird’s sensitive system is quickly overwhelmed by the fumes from an overheated nonstick pan resulting in rapid death. Nonsticks are found in places other than cookware as well—electric appliances, irons, drip and broiler pans. Any of these, if overheated can endanger a bird’s life.

Vets and bird experts all agree that birds should never be housed in or near the kitchen. Download the CMA’s co-sponsored brochure on bird safety by clicking here.(pdf file Acrobat Reader required).

For your pet’s safety, never leave a pan unattended on the stove. Without food, a pan can get hot very quickly, even in the time it takes to answer a quick phone call. Protect your pet bird by keeping them away from your kitchen.

 

Other Pets in the Kitchen

pets1The kitchen is obviously a place interesting to dogs and cats. Imagine the exciting smells for a dog; the prospect of a tidbit for the family cat. But many common “human” foods are toxic to pets. Chocolate is harmful to dogs and cats. Sodium nitrates, found in hot dogs and processed meats, are dangerous for felines. Dogs can react violently to onions, grapes and raisins. And while some people like to feed their dogs scraps from the table, most professionals say that a diet based on food specifically designed for a pet is more healthy.

In addition many normal cooking activities have the potential to harm pets. Dogs and cats have been burned by hot cooking surfaces and injured by knives and small appliances.

Do your pets a safe favor—keep them away from the kitchen.